Skip to content
Queen crest Queenzone.org

Hype park concert - will it be cancelled?

55 posts Page 4 of 4
Thread

Posts in chronological order

Search forum
S
They didn't cancel for the last Pope but now they're giving the terrorists exactly what they want.These two have lost my respect.
B
At the end of the day, the parties involved in deciding whether this concert was going to go ahead or not had to consider the lives and safety of the thousands of people attending it.

Plus the small matter of if the concert had gone ahead, how the hell would people get to/from it while public transport in and around London is at a complete standstill?

I fully support Queen's decision to postpone the gig to a 'safer' date, and am fully looking forward to next Friday just as much as I was looking forward to tomorrow.
J
http://www.network54.com/Forum/259071
The Tube network remains shut after the bomb attacks across the city, but transport bosses expect it to reopen with a reduced service on Friday.
Buses in central London are now running and some services are operating from all mainline train stations.
Bomb scares mean the situation is changing, but police predict disruption on Friday and advise people to consider whether or not to travel to work.
LONDON UNDERGROUND
The entire Tube network is still suspended and is expected to remain shut until Friday.
Latest reports suggest there will be no services on Friday on the Metropolitan in central London, Piccadilly between Arnos Grove and Hyde Park, Hammersmith and City and Circle Lines. King's Cross underground station is expected to remain closed.
Services on the Docklands Light Railway have resumed but trains are not stopping at Bank.
TRAINS
All London mainline stations have reopened but trains are running with severe restrictions.
At King's Cross station, only suburban services are running. However, transport bosses hope a "near normal" service will be resumed by morning.
Eurostar's London to Paris service is running, although passengers travelling from the continent are being advised not to travel to London.
BUSES
All bus services in central London - zone one - are now running, although there are suspensions and diversions around King's Cross, Aldgate and Russell Square.
A Transport for London spokeswoman said: "Regular extra security checks are being carried out on all buses, at bus stations and garages.
"We have also got police officers and wardens at key locations in central London."
Victoria coach station has reopened.
PLANES
Flights are operating normally at the capital's airports, and the express services to them are all running to their normal timetables.
The Federation of Tour Operators is advising people who were due to fly from the London airports to still go to the airport to check in, even if they are delayed.
"If customers miss their flight as a result of the incidents, FTO members will endeavour to source seats on alternative flights operated by or on behalf of members," a spokesman said.
Travellers are also being warned of additional delays because of extra security checks at check-in.
ROADS
Roads around the explosion sites remain closed
The congestion charge will continue to be suspended on Friday.
However, police are still recommending people try to avoid driving in central London.
Roads around Russell Square, Woburn Place and Aldgate High Street are expected to remain closed until Saturday morning at the earliest.
RIVER
The Thames Clipper boats are running a free service on Thursday evening, they start from the Savoy Pier and include stops at Bankside, London Bridge and Canary Wharf on the way to Surrey Quays.
Posted on Jul 7, 2005, 1:59 PM @ Classic Rock Outreach
J
http://www.network54.com/Forum/259071
"Our hearts go out to all those innocents so cruelly attacked Brian May"
by Judy
Queen had been due to play in Hyde Park on Friday, while REM were scheduled to star at the same venue on Saturday.
Thursday's cancelled concerts included pop group Blue at Wembley Pavilion, rock band Sum 41 at The Astoria and The Prodigy at the Brixton Academy.
The entire tube network was shut down following a series of blasts on Thursday, with the bus service in Zone 1, central London, also suspended.
Queen guitarist Brian May said: "We're all devastated to wake up and see the apalling bombing in London. Our hearts go out to all those innocents so cruelly attacked."
The Hyde Park shows were postponed on the advice of the Safety Advisory Group, which includes the Metropolitan Police, Transport for London, Westminster City Council, The Royal Parks and promoters Clear Channel.
All tickets will be valid for the rescheduled shows on 15 and 16 July, or fans can get a refund.
Other gigs set for Thursday, including Queens of the Stone Age at Somerset House, Nate James at Shepherd's Bush Empire and Love at the Islington Academy, are also being rescheduled after being postponed.
Meanwhile, the theatre closures are thought to be unprecedented since World War II, apart from the days of state funerals, according to BBC business correspondent Hugh Pym.
A statement from the Society of London Theatre said: "After the events in London this morning, police are advising that no-one travel into central London.
"As a result of this, we can confirm that all performances of West End shows have been cancelled, along with most performances at theatres across London."
'Inappropriate'
A spokesman for The Astoria in central London said the Sum 41 gig was shelved because staff would be unable to travel into work.
He added that the band's core audience was teenagers whose parents were unlikely to allow them to travel into the city.
Boy band Blue's concert at Wembley Pavilion has already been postponed once, when singer Lee Ryan's throat problems scuppered the original show in March.
The group's management said it would be "inappropriate" to go ahead with the performance, but Friday and Saturday's concerts are still going ahead.
Posted on Jul 7, 2005, 11:49 AM @ clasic Rock Outreach
Respond to this message
Return to Index
J
Brian May has shown he has heart & class.

I must say of late I have come to see him in a whole new light.

His compassion for those in need has made him stand very tall indeed.

I have been pleased and proud to run news updates on Mister May of late.

You as his fans have chosen very wisely indeed.
As someone that in the beginning had doubts about Paul Rodgers joining Mister May & Mister Taylor as I was and still am a fan Of Paul's, can now say I am as well a fan of Brian's as well.

It is rare to see the heart of some that gain fame such as Brian has remain very human, Brian has done that.

He is a man of talent and of compassion and that is a breath of fresh air.
H
Six Seas of Rhye wrote:
They didn't cancel for the last Pope but now they're giving the terrorists exactly what they want.These two have lost my respect.

You can't compare these two. First one is dealing with natural death of a person. Second is dealing with deliberate attack against people. Due to its nature it is logical until safe conditions are confirmed to postpone any events to avoid any other possible casualties by additional potential attacks or until additional security measures are put in place.
H
R
hcrvelin wrote:
Six Seas of Rhye wrote:
They didn't cancel for the last Pope but now they're giving the terrorists exactly what they want.These two have lost my respect.

You can't compare these two. First one is dealing with natural death of a person. Second is dealing with deliberate attack against people. Due to its nature it is logical until safe conditions are confirmed to postpone any events to avoid any other possible casualties by additional potential attacks or until additional security measures are put in place.


Also it has been statted that the transport to Hyde Park has been disrupted and also due to lack of Police.
Keep Good Company
F
And let's remember one thing- in Rome the police didn't say NO to the gig. Here in London they probably did (REM also postponed)- so comparing Rome and Hyde Park is just simply STUPID.
http://www.queenzone.com/queenzone/forumnew/forum_topic_view.aspx?Q=696327 Wanna trade? Here's my list...
I
does that include me hammer? i was already in london when it happened
W
<RED><MARQUEE>starfleet</MARQUEE></RED> wrote:
I could not disagree more !!

Queen should most definitely cancel the gig right now !!

It's not bowing to terrorism, it's keeping safe the fans and their families. Not leading them into temptation into an environment where there lives could be at risk. No concert or event is worth that and Queen should damn well know it !!

If you want to go and risk your life then go ahead. Queen should not ask this of anyone !!!

If they do go ahead with the gig I will be incredibly annoyed as it shows no respect for there fans and the unfortunate people involved in this horrific incident.


Bravo and well said. Couldn't have put it better myself. This is a good decision in my view. Shows the utmost respect for the victims and the families of the barbaric and cowardly attacks by some crazy fanatics who are hiding behind so called religion to satisfy their sadistic lust for revenge. These scumbag barbarians have no repect for life whatsoever. Queen + Paul Rodgers are showing their caring side in my view and life does go on as they say. Look forward to the 15th July..it's only a 7 day delay. London will bounce back from this disaster with added pride and esteem. British people are very resilient in times of grief and will put two fingers up at these cowards. To coin a phrase...we will not be dictated to by terrorists.

Refunds are available if fans are unable to attend on the re-scheduled 15th date so you can get your money back if you want. Even ticketmaster are offering refunds so they should be commended in a way even if their prices are outrageous. The safety of people is paramount and it's good to know that the band have this at the forefront of their minds.

BTW, London securing the Olympics is fantastic!! Shows the world that London can be trusted above Paris to organise the greatest show in the world. I'm from Wales but feel the whole country should unite and fully support London's Olympics in 2012. I'm looking forward to seeing some football at the Millenium Stadium as well as attending the Games in Stratford. This country has actually won something and won the ultimate prize from under the French noses. Paris got what they deserved in my view. I'm not anti French but believed that their arrogant attitude and totally stupid remarks from a lame duck president Chirac backfired on them! We should be very grateful to the New York and Madrid IOC members for supporting London. The Games will be superb as the IOC president says. Paris will have to wait until 2020 or 2024 at least before they host. Maybe it will be fourth time lucky for them as with the UK! Roll on 2012 I say. I'd never thought in my wildest dreams that the Olympics would ever be staged in the UK in my lifetime...so the next 7 years of waiting will fly past. Looking forward to the opening ceremony in July 2012! Well done London!
We all of us deeply apologise for this god forsaken shit heap of a building...but we will make it rock. Brian May Wembley Pavilion 11.05.05.